Straightening My Hair

Hello dear readers. Sorry I've been gone for a like a week. I had plans to take outfit photos, but  a few emergency things got in the way during the time I planned it. I'm hoping I can get a few in this week. I already have the outfits laid aside. I just gotta find the time to shoot them. Any how, I thought I would show you guys the tools and products I use to straighten my hair. I have natural hair and it is extremely coily in some places and kinky in others. Since you've all seen my hair in an Afro, you know the amount of shrinkage I have. It's crazy!!! It literally takes me up to 5 hours just to straighten after I've worn my Afro for a few days. So here are a the main products that I use to get my hair straight. All products are in the order that I use them.

The Kit 

The Detangler

Since my hair is extremely curly, I always need to detangle it before I start. Curly Kids Mixed Hair Super Detangling Spray works amazing.  When I was a kid and a preteen, my mom used to use Johnson & Johnson "No More Tangles" Spray and the Suave Kids Detangling Spray to do my hair. Yes, this thick mop that I have had to always be detangled before styling. And now that I'm natural, I need it even more.  When I'm detangling my hair, I do it in small 1 to 2 inch sections.

The Wide Tooth Comb

This tool is a must for all thick, curly, natural hair girls out there. It just makes detangling so much easier. I swear I don't know where I would be without it. (I own 3.) There are special double teeth combs like this one, that I've tried before. These work fine, but I still prefer the classic style of the one up above.

The Leave-In Conditioner 

Leave- in conditioner is the best way to moisturize my hair. I use a few different ones, but the Organics Olive Oil Leave-In Conditioner  is the one I use when I'm straightening. My other leave-in conditioners are formulated to help maintain my curls. This one is light-weight, moisturizing, and it dries fast. I put this on after I detangle and right before I blow dry. Yes, I blow dry, but it helps get my hair straighter. Sorry, the blow dryer isn't pictured, but you could use any standard blow dryer.

The Heat Protectant

I discovered the amazing power of Moroccan oil when I bought the flat iron below. It was a small trial size but I loved it. The Organix Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco is amazing. It really does penetrate the hair shaft. The only Argan Oil I would use other than this is the One N' Only Argan Oil (it's the trial size that came with the flat iron). I take about a dime size of the product ans smooth it over each section before I pass the flat iron over it.

The Flat Iron

Okay so at first glance, I'm guessing you ladies are thinking, "whaaattt???, is this really the flat iron she uses?" Yes, it is. So if you dolls remember, a few months ago my trusty flat iron (sound here) of 5 years broke. It just died on me. I didn't want to believe the worst because honestly, I didn't wanna cough up the dough (yes, I said that) to buy another one. My previous one was a Pro Beauty Tools iron, and it only cost $40 at Walmart at the time. Now that same flat iron cost $70 at Walmart. I know that most girls use CHI and GHDs but the pro beauty tools one worked just as great as a CHI. I decided on a whim to pick up the Conair Infinity Pro while in Target, because I really needed an iron. I figured why not try it and if it doesn't work just return it. Holy Crap!!! Once I used it, I was beyond happy. I mean, I literally swiped each section of hair maximum twice. It works beautifully after one pass, but I've have this thing about doing two passes (I'm weird).


The Results

Here is the result of 5 hours of straightening. (Sorry for the shotty photo, but it was 3:00 am and I was tired.) Now maybe for some it takes way less time than that, but like I said, I work in small sections. This way I make sure that my roots are as straight as possible. The roots and the middle of my hair are where I get most of my tangles. Any how, I hope this post has helped some of my natural girls out there, and I also hope this has given girls of other races and hair textures a look into the world of black women hair care.

Thanks for stopping by and reading. I love you guys and have an awesome Tuesday!!!

Shop This Post

2 comments

  1. Your hair is so pretty! I hate it when one of my beauty tools dies....it's always so upsetting!

    Laura
    www.24-7style.com

    ReplyDelete